My 2 Cent

Sunday, May 01, 2005

The problem, not the solution

That's what I think of child daycare. Particularly this
socialization nonsense.

My wife has been mentioning to her friends and family
that she plans on being a stay at home mom, to which
they respond, "what about socializing your child?
How will you do that?" As if that can only happen
at a "toddler detention center".

Uhh...let me see. I'll just take my kid outside to play
with the other kids. Granted there much less of them
outside these days due to the previously mentioned
"detention centers". When I was much, much younger
all I had to do was walk out my front door and there
were most of my friends. That's how it used to work,
right?

Well not anymore, or so my wife tells me. No, there
are play groups you join. Play groups. Just to find
other children who aren't lock away for their parents
convience.There's just something that doesn't seem
right about scheduling a time to hang out with other
kids. I mean, that's the crap that you have to do as
adults. So much for the carefree childhood.

So, the way I see it, daycare centers aren't the
solution to socializing children. They're the
problem.