My 2 Cent

Friday, June 04, 2004

Safety Nazis

Some Safety Nazis in my state are trying to ban those
motorized scooters. Why? Because they are dangerous.
Think of the children. We must protect the children.
That and the fact that some parents don’t have any common
sense. So, we must also protect them from their parent’s
stupidity. Another reason they spout is that when someone
does get hurt it cost all of society.

What a load of crap! I’m soo sick of this mentality.

The safety freaks and the lawmakers are the ones lacking
common sense. Most people know you can’t legislate common
sense. If so, I would write a law preventing people &
lawmakers lacking common sense from writing laws to protect
people from themselves because they lack any brains.

We must put an end to this nonsense. If not now, then when?
When they start banning fatty foods?
When they start banning sidewalks because the concrete is too hard?
When they start requiring you to wear a helmet inside of your home?

You know, those stairs sure do hurt when you fall down them.
You could even end up in a persistent vegetative state if
you hit your head in the wrong spot. Man, wouldn’t that
be a drain on society.

Now, I won’t argue whether they’re dangerous or not.
I think they are, as are most things in life to some
degree. In my opinion, what makes these things dangerous
is that they were not engineered to be stable at the speeds
they travel. The wheels aren’t big enough to create the
balance needed to travel at speed. That and the turning
radius is wicked tight. If I had a child, I’d rather he/she
not ride one.

With that said, it doesn’t mean another parent shouldn’t
let their child ride one. It also doesn’t make them
automatically a bad parent if they let their child do so.
They may feel the fun outweighs the risk of injury.

All things you may do in life requires that you weigh the risks
and decide what amount of risk you are comfortable with,
not the government. There are ways to manage risk and still
have fun. No, I’m not talking about just putting on protective
gear. I’m talking about also learning how to do said activity
and give it 100% of your attention while doing it. That’s
probably the best way to ensure your safety.

Besides, whatever happened to that “keep your laws off my body”
crap. I suppose that only pertains to abortion. Which, by the way,
does cost society. Exactly one less taxpayer. You’d think that
would enrage the Safety Nazis.